Monday, September 7, 2009

Bolognese Sauce with Fresh Taglierini


Making pasta this weekend brought back tender memories of my childhood in the Philippines. My late Lola Tisay (Lola means grandmother in Filipino) always made "Miki" on special occasions. The soup base for "Miki" is made of shrimp heads and crabs that she pounds into a pulp in a stone mortar and pestle. She then strains the fluid from the pulp into the meat stock where she simmered chicken and pork until they are tender, which she eventually shred and add to the soup with the homemade egg pasta that she lovingly prepared.


Like baking bread, making pasta is in one of the things on my "to learn list". Himself gave me my pasta machine about 3 years ago as one of my birthday gifts. I finally decided to put it to use this weekend.

I made the pasta using the basic egg pasta recipe that is standard to most Italian cookbooks. I am attaching this video of a simplified way of preparing the pasta--

3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
4 large egg
1 tsp sea salt
4 tsp extra virgin olive oil


I made the bolognese sauce like any bolognese sauce, omitting the pancetta since I don't have it readily available this time. I used cream instead of milk and stirred it in 10 minutes towards the end--

1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 celery, diced
1 lb Italian Sausage
1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and diced
grape tomatoes, cut in half
1tsp tomato paste
bay leave, thyme, rosemary
generous pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 cups light beef stock
1/4 cup cream
parmesan cheese



Incorporating the flour with the egg and oil



Pasta Sheets


Cutting the egg noodles



Fresh Taglierini



Bolognese Sauce with fresh Taglierini

1 comment: