Monday, March 8, 2010

Carbonara: Classic Bacon and Egg Pasta

They say that BACON makes everything good.. and I say AMEN to that! Most of my favorite food has bacon/pancetta in them -- Reinhart's Cornbread, Julia Child's Bouef Bourguignon, Thomas Keller's Mon Poulet Roti and Deviled Egg's with Pancetta.. hmm.. I can go on and on. But nothing can compare to my love for Bacon and Egg Pasta.. I love me some Carbonara! It's so satisfying and simple to make -- the perfect comfort food! I made some last night, since I need some comforting, LOL! Heyy.. that's my excuse.

This recipe is so simple Bill can actually stand to help me in the kitchen when I make it. And oh, this doesn't have anything to do with me wanting to prove to him that my purchase of the Le Creuset Cookware set is so well worth it, since it makes my cooking even better. *wink*

Classic Bacon and Egg Pasta

1 lb fettuccine noodle
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 lb pancetta, cut into cubes**
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup pasta cooking liquid
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 eggs, room temperature
4 oz parmegiano-reggiano cheese, grated
flat leaf parsley, chopped, for garnishing

**I like my pancetta thinly sliced for this recipe since I like them real crispy. You can ask you deli person to cut your pancetta as thin or as thick as you like them.

In a pot, boil enough water for pasta. Add salt then cook pasta al dente, about 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil in pan. Add the garlic. Cook until caramelized but not browned. Add pancetta and cook for a couple of minutes until crispy. Add wine and pasta cooking liquid, then season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer until liquid is reduced in half. In a bowl, beat the eggs, then add the cheese. Drain the pasta then add in the pan. Add the egg and cheese mixture to the pan and toss to coat the noodles. Remove from heat. Garnish with parsley. Devour immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment