Saturday, October 24, 2009

Pear filled Cupcakes with Seven Minute Frosting

I am not feeling well these days; I think I am coming down with something, and I am glad the weekend is finally here. I hate being out of commission, so here's my get well plan -- tons of orange juice and good amounts of benadryl-induced sleep, thus, I am in bed at 8:30 PM on a Friday night. I drifted to sleep, with thoughts of pears poached in cardamon, saffron and honey... that would definitely make me feel better.

I was startled from sleep by a loud ringing and a vibration under my pillow. F***, I forgot to turn my phone to silent. I glanced at the bedside clock, it's f***ing three in the morning? Who in the h**l is drunk texting me now? Leave it to your friends to drunk text or call you for drama at the most unholy hour! Oh well.. some text messages, couple of calls, and an hour after, I was freaking awake like a Krispy Kreme doughnut loaded with 4 shots of espresso. I cannot go back to sleep, worst, I only am not craving poached pears now, but also vanilla cupcakes, Grrr.. It's almost 4 in the morning, might as well visit the kitchen and give in to my cravings -- I believe in indulging myself. I learned the hard way that I find balance more if I do not deprive myself!


Pear filled Vanilla Cupcakes with Seven Minute Frosting
topped with Marzipan Candies



'Poached' Pear Filling


2 medium Borsch Pears, minced
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 T honey
pinch of saffron
1/2 t cardamom
pinch of salt

Mix everything in a one quart sauce pan and reduce or cook until pears are tender.

For the cupcakes, I decided to use Magnolia Bakery's Vanilla cupcake recipe again. This is going to be the third time this month. But hey, it's 4-ish in the morning of Saturday and I don't want to overthink things this early, haha!

I went back to sleep after I baked the cupcakes; give it time to cool, before I fill and frost it; that is after I finished off a couple of the vanilla cupcakes that I topped way too much with the pear filling, yum!


I woke up around 10-ish and proceeded on frosting the cupcakes. I decided to use Seven Minute Frosting (recipe from Epicurious) and torched the heck out of it. I love the torching part the best, hehe!!!

I topped it off with the Marzipan candies I have in the cupboard, which gave it it's I-look so-delish-so-hurry-up-and-eat-me look. And that's exactly what I did --I indulged myself, and I felt much better after.

No comments:

Post a Comment