Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Chicken Curry


It's 6:30 PM. I am debating if I will make dinner or get take-out. I'm craving my mom's chicken curry just now, and I know that whatever I get for take-out, it wouldn't drive the cravings away. Curry is just an hour to make anyhow, same amount of time I will spend driving to a restaurant and waiting for them to cook my unsatisfying dinner.

My Mom's Chicken Curry

2 T coconut oil
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
1 T garlic, chopped
1 T ginger, chopped
1 t turmeric
1 t cumin
1/4 t pepper flakes
1 lb bone in chicken breast with skin, cut into bite portion*
3 T fish sauce
1 packet of 150 grams coconut milk powder**
3 cups chicken stock
1 lb malanga, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces***

*Bone in Chicken breast with skin makes a more tasty curry. You can always remove the skin when you eat.

**I prefer powdered coconut milk to the canned coconut milk, they are more concentrated. You can always substitute one can of coconut milk but be mindful to reduce stock to compensate for the added liquid.

***You can always use potato in place of the malanga. Even better, use green papaya if you can find it.


Heat the coconut oil. Saute onion, garlic and ginger until fragrant. Add turmeric, cumin and pepper flakes and saute for about 10 seconds. Add chicken pieces, cook until browned. Add fish sauce and then the coconut milk, mixing to coat everything with the coconut milk powder, then add the chicken stock. Bring to a rolling boil then reduce the heat. Cover pan and simmer until softened, about 30 minutes. Add the malanga and cook until tender and sauce is significantly reduced. Serve with jasmine rice and fried plantains.

No comments:

Post a Comment